Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency

Managing Alpha1 begins
with understanding it

ARALAST® NP [Alpha1-Proteinase Inhibitor (Human)] is a medicine made from human Alpha1-Proteinase Inhibitor (Alpha1-PI), which is also known as Alpha1-antitrypsin (AAT). It is used to treat adults with lung disease (emphysema) caused by severe Alpha1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency.

It is not known how increasing AAT levels with ARALAST NP or other Alpha1-PI products impacts worsening lung function or emphysema. The long-term effects of AAT with ARALAST NP have not been studied. ARALAST NP is not for use in lung disease other than severe Alpha1-PI deficiency.

Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency is sometimes referred to as Alpha1 or Alpha1 deficiency

Aralast 20-year anniversary sticker. Aralast product

*Initial FDA approval: 2002

Understand inherited Alpha1 deficiency

Begin with an awareness of how Alpha1 deficiency can impact you and your family.

Human lung icon depicting severe variants associated with emphysema.

Alpha1 is a protein that helps protect the lungs.

The Alpha1 protein circulates in the bloodstream and works to protect the lungs from inflammation due to infection or inhaled irritants, such as tobacco smoke.

People with Alpha1 deficiency have low or absent levels of the protective Alpha1 protein.

Double helix DNA depicting Alpha1 deficiency is a hereditary disorder.

Alpha1 deficiency can run in families.

Alpha1 deficiency is an inherited disorder in which a genetic mutation impacts the body’s ability to produce sufficient levels of the Alpha1 protein.

A person who inherits two deficient Alpha1 genes—one from each parent—has Alpha1 deficiency.

Recycle drop icon depicting the cause of emphysema.

Emphysema may be caused by a severe Alpha1 deficiency in rare cases.

Without enough functional Alpha1, lung damage can develop, usually in people between 20 and 50 years of age.

A severe Alpha1 deficiency may lead to emphysema—a lung condition that causes shortness of breath—with symptoms that can worsen over time.

Family tree depicting inheritance of normal Alpha1 gene vs. deficient Alpha1 gene.

Inheritance of Alpha1 deficiency:

Everyone has two copies of the Alpha1 gene. If both parents have one deficient Alpha1 gene and one normal Alpha1 gene, there’s a 25% chance their child could have two deficient genes and Alpha1 deficiency, a 50% chance their child could carry one deficient gene, and a 25% chance their child would inherit two normal Alpha1 genes.

Know that you’re not alone

Information and support are available to help you move forward with treatment.

Three purple and one blue people icon depicting about 1 of 3,000 to 5,000 people may have AAT deficiency.

About 1 of every 3,000 to 5,000 people in the U.S. may have Alpha1 deficiency.

Alpha1 deficiency is the most common known genetic cause of emphysema.

Chat bubble.

Talk to your doctor.

Your healthcare professional can help if you have questions about family testing, living with Alpha1 deficiency, or augmentation therapy.

Learn about augmentation therapy

The more you know, the more you’ll understand how important treatment can be.

Three arrows pointing up.

ARALAST NP increases the levels of the Alpha1 protein in your blood and lungs.

Augmentation therapy with ARALAST NP is typically given once a week to help replace the low or absent levels of the protein.

Healthcare professional icon.

Treatment is administered by a doctor or nurse as an intravenous (into a vein) infusion.

An infusion of ARALAST NP may take approximately 15 minutes, depending on body weight and infusion rate.*

You and your doctor can choose the infusion setting that is right for you.

Cross inside a circle depicting a clinic or physician's office.

In the clinic by a healthcare provider

Intravenous (IV) infusion icon representing outpatient infusion.

At an outpatient infusion center

House icon representing home infusion via a home health agency.

At home by a healthcare provider

*Infusion time is estimated, based on a 165-lb adult patient receiving the recommended dose at the maximum infusion rate, based on the product labeling.
Actual infusion time will vary from person to person.

OnePath is personalized product support after you and your physician choose a treatment path.

OnePath provides a range of personalized product support services throughout your ARALAST NP treatment journey.

From the moment you enroll in OnePath, your dedicated Patient Support Manager will work with you one-on-one to help you access your prescribed Takeda medication.

OnePath helps you:

Clipboard checklist depicting navigating the health insurance process with OnePath.

Navigate the health insurance process

Card and document icon depicting the OnePath Copay Assistance Program.

Enroll in the OnePath Co-Pay Assistance Program (if eligible) or discuss financial assistance options

Prescription (Rx) document depicting the medication delivery process with OnePath.

Coordinate medication delivery with your specialty pharmacy

Book icon representing education and resources.

Learn about additional support, education, and community resources

The OnePath Co-Pay Assistance Program helps cover certain out-of-pocket treatment costs for eligible commercially insured patients prescribed ARALAST NP who are enrolled in OnePath.

The following are covered up to the program maximum and may be paid directly to the provider:

  • 100% of eligible out-of-pocket costs, which may include deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance
  • Out-of-pocket costs of eligible infusion charges, where applicable by law

At a minimum, to be eligible for the program, a patient must:

  • Be enrolled in OnePath
  • Have commercial insurance

Contacting OnePath is easy.

For more information, please contact OnePath at 1-866-888-0660, Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM ET.

Other eligibility requirements apply. For more information, please contact a OnePath Patient Support Manager at 1-866-888-0660.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The OnePath Copay Assistance Program (the Program) is not valid for prescriptions eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by Medicaid, Medicare (including Medicare Part D), Tricare, Medigap, VA, DoD, or other federal or state programs (including any medical or state prescription drug assistance programs). No claim for reimbursement of the out-of-pocket expense amount covered by the Program shall be submitted to any third party payer, whether public or private. The Program cannot be combined with any other rebate/coupon, free trial, or similar offer. Copayment assistance under the Program is not transferable. The Program only applies in the United States, including Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories, and does not apply where prohibited by law, taxed, or restricted. This does not constitute health insurance. Void where use is prohibited by your insurance provider. If your insurance situation changes, you must notify the Program immediately at 1-866-888-0660. Coverage of certain administration charges will not apply for patients residing in states where it is prohibited by law. Takeda reserves the right to rescind, revoke, or amend the Program at any time without notice.

Subject to program terms, limits, and conditions